Day 18 as an intern.
Today was simply BORING.
I didn't do a darn thing at all today, again because of my supervisors both working very hard on big projects. And with only 2 edit bays available, guess who's left out to rot in front of a computer screen? Yup. Me. What I was able to accomplish was the baby-like task of e-mailing a few people back and forth to try and kill time. I again repeat that I did not do ANYTHING.
That said, I kinda got tired of just sitting there so I decided to be a little bit assertive/ angry. I e-mailed a friend of mine in the HR dept. to ask and see if there was anything that I might be able to help them with, on account of my not doing anything remotely associated with broadcasting. She e-mailed me back with a very strong yes and so I immediately got up there to her office. They (HR people) were in the middle of a process to relocate offices withing the arena, so they needed some help. I ended up helping the VP of HR move some things out of her office, boxing them up, and moving them to her new office. It was pretty cool to do that, actually, because I was able to get out of the broadcast area and go help some people that I, on a regular basis, don't get to see too often. You know, it can get kinda old, as an intern, to stay around the same people everyday and, on top of that, not do too much. So I was happy to be able to actually do something and be able to help someone get something done.
So that pretty much put a wrap on my work day, but one more thing happened while I was there that just made that day that much more endurable. My brother's friend who works with him has a friend who works with the Panthers. I was able to recieve his contact info and he was given mine and we got to e-mailing each other for a little bit. I think it is the beginning of something that has the potential to be amazing. We have decided that we should go out to dinner sometime and just kinda talk about things, just to establish a base. He also offered to show me around the stadium sometime, which I think is pretty stinking cool. Along with that, he also said he could introduce me to some people who work in the broadcast division of the organization and whoever else I wanted to meet. Can you say "foot in the door?" That just made this day all around cool, and I'm anxious to see where that leads me.
Until then, making yourself available doesn't always result in disaster.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment