Friday, January 25, 2008

Jan. 23, 2008

Day 13 as an intern.

Today, once again, was uneventful, save for the game tonight.

During the day, I started out logging tapes once again. I swear these tapes go on forever, but hey, I guess it's got to be done. So I was logging tapes for a little whil and my supervisor grabbed me and was like hey can you help me out? So of course I said sure.

What did he have me do? Watch, simply watch, a tape for 2 hours to make sure the timecode didn't jump. Woopty freakin do. Not only did I do that, but I was in a freezing cold room watching a tape...in a jacket...and was supremely uncomfortable. So I did that and did it the best I could only to learn that the timecode never jumped. Ever. So when that was finished I went and reported back to my supervisor that it was finished and that it never jumped. He said ok, and I asked if there was anything else could do. He said no, not right now. So, I was going to continue to log tapes, but I couldn't because the edit suite I was using was being used. So what did I do? I sat at a computer for 2 hours, doing nothing.

See, usually this wouldn't bother me. Hey, it's time off and I'm not being hounded to do a job. Woo hoo, right? Wrong. As I was sitting there every so often, my supervisor would come around the hall and look at me. And he didn't just look at me like hey what's goin on? It was more like Hey, why aren't you doing anything? With that kind of look I have nothing else to say rather than somehow, I got trapped in a vicious cycle, because I wasn't given anything to do, I don't know enough about the things around me in order to do stuff myself, but he expected me to do stuff.

I don't know guys. I'm really struggling with why I'm here now that I'm on the inside. You know, I see the other interns doing stuff all the time and I'm down here hardly being active. Heck, I may never know how helpful logging tapes was, but it better be worth it, because other than that and dubbing tapes, I'm hardly learning anything. I need to be editing, shooting, writing, and voicing things. I need to be recognized by my name, not "intern." Just some thoughts.

Then game time rolled around and, again, it was pretty cool. Now I'm responsible for logging shots for the NBA with only 2 baseline cams...sounds complicated...really easy. Plus, I get to watch the game...which is always fun! Too bad we lost, but that's ok, I'm sure we'll make up for it soon.

Until then, things are on a downward spiral.

No comments: