Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Jan. 16, 2008

Day 8 as an intern.

Today was kinda bad. I walked into the arena right at nine and I didn't get into my area until 9.30 and that was only because of an arena security guy who happened to ask me what I was doing and was nice enough to let me in. I'm getting tired of getting there on time only to have to wait 30 or more minutes to get into my area. I mean, if I'm gettin there before my supervisor is, then give me a key. Let me get to work. But when I have to wait for them to get there I'm wasting my time and I am getting a late start on the day. It's just annoying me to know that I'm getting there before they are and I'm having to pay the consequences.

Anyways, once the real day started, all I did all day was do things for my supervisor. I started out by watching him edit our MLK piece, which was boring. Every time I asked him a question, he got upset with me for talking. So it was annoying to me cuz how am I supposed to learn if I can't ask questions.

After that, I had to help him film a stand up for the same piece. Who carried all of the equipment and set it up? I did. Who didn't know where any of the equipment was?Me. I just felt crappy all day because they didn't even care enough to show me they were just like...get it. Anyways, I got all of it, and we set things up, and then the guy who was supposed to be there for the shoot ended up showing up about an hour and a half late. Wonderful. So, my supervisor and I kinda hung out on the floor, which was cool because I was on an NBA floor. Hecks yea. That was awesome...to know I was on the same court as all the players...it was cool to see a first person view of how it looks to them, ya kno? It was one of the few highlights of the day.

He finally got there, we filmed it, and we headed back to the studio. Oh yea, had to breakdown all the stuff again and put it all up too. When we made it back I went to ask him what he needed me to do. This time it was to tear down our whole studio, make it look like we were never there. Except for the fact that I didn't know where anything went, what to take down, or what to do with it once I was done. So my supervisor was like, just do it and we'll fix it if it's wrong. See, that doesnt fly with me. I want to do the best job possible, but how can I do that when I dont know what to do? It just really got me upset cuz how hard would it have been to come with me and say hey, this goes here, that goes there, when you're done...do this. But no...he said figure it out yourself and if it's messed up then we'll fix it. I hate that. I hated the whole time I was tearing stuff down. Not to mention when I finished up, I wasnt feeling great at all. I felt like I was gonna pass out, and that doesn't feel good at all.

Once I finished doing that, I was fed up with things around the area, so I peaced out for a little bit to eat some lunch. When I came back from that I just kinda did some research on tonight's matchup for a while and waited around for, once again,

GAME NIGHT!!!!!

Now, the game night experience was completely different than the day, and for that I was thankful. Tonight I shot some b-roll footage of one of the coaches. OK, I know what you're saying, but it basically translates into this...I got floor level access to the game...that's right. Courtside. With a camera. In front of the players...with the players. Sweet. So I did that for a while and went to turn in the footage to my supervisor and he checked it out for a little bit. When he had finished going thru it he said...not bad...not bad for your first night with a camera. Yay...a glimmer of hope on an otherwise dismal day.

The game ended in spectacular fashion once again and...WE WON!!!!! Hecks to the YES!!! We are 4-2 since my arrival and I see us continuing this trend for a little bit! I love seeing us play like the team we are. So that was exciting, to be able to witness yet another team win.

Right before I left today, I chatted with my supervisor and he said goodby to me with these words. "Good job today. Real good job. Thank you."

Until then, those words sounded like gold.

No comments: