Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Jan. 15, 2008

Day 7 as an intern.

Today was amazing. Amazing. Did I mention amazing?

OK, so start from the beginning. Yet another extremely cold morning behind me, I walked into the arena and had to wait about 20 minutes for my supervisor to show up and let me in. This is really aggravating me right now because I'm showing up on time, when I'm supposed to be here and he isn't. But hopefully that is going to improve later. Anyways, so I walk in, check the e-mail, and am informed that I will be doing interviews today. And not just interviews, but interviws with some of the players and some of the coaches. Heck yes. That was exciting.

So we were interviewing them for a MLK Day feature package that we will be producing, so it was a pretty cool thing to hear everyone's answers. That said, we interviewed one of the coaches in the morning, but after that we were informed that they had practice for the next hour or so. So we waited, and did a little more tape dubbing. After that hour, we waited a little longer till the next guy rolled in. We spent the rest of the day just waiting on everyone to make the interview. See since it's the NBA, these guys make their own schedules...and we have to wait on them.

Anyways, to make a long story short, the moment came. The time came when I would be interviewing one of my favorite players in recent memory. That player was Raymond Felton. The guard for the Tar Heels in the 05 championship, which they won by the way. I was face to face with him and we talked for a little bit. All I can say is wow. It was so cool to be sitting, literally a foot or 2 away from him, looking him in the eye and listening to what he had to say. Amazing. SOOOOOO cool. And it didn't stop there. I gotto interview 2 other players, both of whom are also pretty stinking amazing. It was an awesome experience. Next step, MJ. Haha.

That pretty much took up our whole day, on account of the waiting, but my goodness, it was worth it. Such an awesome experience. It didn't stop there though, because I got some more exciting news.

I was coming back into the broadcasting area and was greeted by the TV on-air personality for the team. That was also cool because this is the guy everyone hears when watching the games. I'm face to face with him just talking to him like it is nothing. Awesome. Anyways, he shakes my hand and takes me into our tech guy's office and asks me if I can help him. I say of course and he proceeds to ask me if I want a job. A JOB?!?!?!?! HECKS YES!!!! Turns out they need a guy to man just 2 cameras on game nights for our in-house production crew. It pays and it isn't a part of the internship and won't interfere with it either. So I said sure and I will be working my first game as a paid staffer starting next monday. Man...so awesome how God works things out like that. Knowing I don't have any income He is just like haha, check this one out. I am blessed to even have that opportunity, and thank God for it.

Then, after that, I find out that I will be shooting game film tomorrow! Holy crap! This is amazing! We needed some b-roll for a feature story we are doing on one of our coaches, so my supervisor wants me to do it. Heck yes! Again, another blessing to be at least getting involved with things here now. Thank you God.

And to cap it all off with a bang, I got to spend some time with my girlfriend last night...and it was all fun. I love spending any kind of time with her because we always seem to have a good time no matter what we do. I love it.

So, with a game coming tomorrow and huge opportunities coming in the future, I gotta get ready to do some work. See, in order for me to shoot tomorrow, I have to log tapes ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day long tomorrow during the internship hours. A fair trade fr boring work but hey, it's gotta be done. I'll do it the best I can and not look back.

Until then, I have a job, a filming opportunity, and an amazing girlfriend.

No comments: