Day 6 as an intern. Start of week 2.
Well, let me back up and let everyone know that home was simply amazing. I got to catch back up with a few friends and most of all...I just got to be there. It was definitely needed and appreciated.
That being said, the team dropped 2 extremely close games this weekend...both overtime losses. However, they lost to 2 great teams so I kinda consider those losses moral victories. It shows we can stand up to the best in the league and that, my friends, is worth having.
Today was kind of a lax intern day. After coming in from a brutally cold morning, I greeted everyone and took to the broadcasting area. As soon as I got in there, I kinda just stood back and watched my supervisor work on some things. He had me watch him dub melt tapes, which is a little bit different than dubbing tapes to DVD, which I had done before. Melts are generally longer so it took a little longer for those dubs to get finished. But, Maury was on tv so the guys made a good day out of that one.
After the lunch break, it was more of the same with watching him dub tapes. While we were waiting for the tapes to finish, my supervisor and I got into so pretty cool conversations about what he has been through and things I should do to be able to advance in the future. He seems really emphatic about those things and wants me to do and be the best as possible. Knowing that, it kind of helps to know that while he can be kind of stiff sometimes, he really does want me to pull through. At the end of the day, he had me start to log one of the melts we dubbed. That, my friends, is pretty much boring. You have to go through every shot on the tape, describe each one, and then enter them into the logfile. Every shot. So I did as many as I could before...
GAME NIGHT!!!!!!!!
Once about 6.30 rolled around, it was game night once again in the Queen City. Earlier in the day, my supervisor suggested that I go sit in the TV truck to watch how the control room communicates with the commentators to see how both operate. Knowing that I want to eventually be an on-air personality, my supervisor wants me to understand just what it takes to get there. This was a start.
So I wandered on over there and spent the entire night watching, noticing, and picking up on how the control room operates and how the commentators have to be good enough to have things to say even when something may go wrong. It was also interesting to see how the commentators make things flow, even if they don't know exactly what is coming next on the show. It was cool to see and even cooler to think about me in that position somewhere along the line.
I stayed there till about 9.30 when the game ended and...WE WON!! Oh yea, that's right suckers, 3-2 since my arrival...I'm loving this. And it's not like we're beating crappy teams...these are conference leaders, and you've gotta love it if you're a fan!1111111 Which of course...I am!
Until then, 119-116 sounds like a pretty good score to me.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dude it sounds like you're having some awesome experiences and learning alot even in these first few days. I hope you continue learning man.
It was good to see you this weekend as well.
Post a Comment